Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Get Jeweler

This is the first report of my EGL Project (Ethernet Gem Library). To document what I do so that in case things go wrong I can go back and check.

A few days ago I read about RubyGems (p229–234, 247–250 of the Programming Ruby 1.9 The Pragmatic Programmers) book. I typed in the first few commands.

Then Victor told me to use Jeweler, which is "a library for managing and releasing RubyGem projects" and "a scaffold generator for starting new RubyGem projects".

After git clone, I followed the readme instructions to install: gem install jewler. Actually blindly following the readme instructions was not good, because it creates a "hello-gem" with its default test setup. I want a directory named "ethernet" and "rspec" for testing, so I did: jeweler --rspec ethernet

I chose the name "ethernet" for my gem library after confirming on the RubyGems.org site through a search that the name has not been taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment