Friday, January 28, 2011

Setup USB camera import on Ubuntu 10.10

I have a little Kodak Easyshare camera, which I use USB to import photos to my laptop.  It's the first time I tried to import photos since I upgraded from Ubuntu 8.04 to 10.10.

I had a series of problems:


1. Problem: Nothing happened when I plugged in my camera.  In 8.04, F-stop would automatically pop out.
> lsusb
shows that the camera is recognized.
Fix: After some research, I learned that F-stop has been replaced by Shotwell Photo Manager.  Which I installed with:
> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yorba/ppa
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install shotwell
To open Shotwell: Applications -> Graphics -> Shotwell Photo Manager.


2. Now I plug in my camera and something pops up (twice).  But it's an error message:
Unable to mount Kodak EasyShare ... Digital Camera
Error initializing camera: -60: Could not lock the device
Fix: Apparently there is some issue with the camera not wanting to release pictures freely.  So I got gPhoto to resolve this.
> sudo apt-get install gphoto2


3. Now when I try plugging in the camera: (Somehow I still get a duplicate, whatever)
- Ignore any error messages. 
- Click on the window that opens Shotwell Photo Manager
- Click the option that unmounts the camera, wait for a while.
- Should now see a preview of all the images on your camera.
Wait until it finishes
- Click on "Import All"

No comments:

Post a Comment